Vounteer Officer Developement – Topeka, KS
March 21 - March 22
The 2020 SCAFFA School will be held March 19th – 22nd in Topeka, Kansas.
Once again, Task Force 1, Inc. is once again honored to be a part of this. We will present Volunteer Officer Development on Friday, March 20, 2020 form 1- 5 PM and will continue on Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 8:00 AM concluding at 4:00 PM.
This program will cover a wide array of material to prepare an individual to take on the task of a volunteer fire officer. Career or volunteer makes no difference. Experience has shown that very often those elected or promoted in a leadership role are woefully unread for what awaits them. While many in individuals are solid at the task level, that is, doing thing themselves or even with the help of a partner, most will struggle when now having others to the task. This creates havoc, chaos and discontentment.
The program includes a didactic presentation, many small group exercises, case study reviews and classroom simulation exercises. The major of the program will focus on skills need to “run a good firehouse”. Since much of the time is not spent at actual emergencies, setting the foundation does start with solid leadership providing clear direction and expectations.
This program is presented in a classroom setting for the sharing of didactic information. It then transitions to interactive group exercises, role plays, class exercises and scenario-based simulation exercises.
The goal of this program is to provide you with strategies to succeed as effective volunteer fire service leaders.
Define the issues and factors breeding power, influence, leadership and team building.
Develop an understanding of personal influence and how traits affect team dynamics.
Develop strategies for creating synergy within teams.
Define leadership types, implementing situational leadership.
Demonstrate analysis of commonly observed conflict issues and develop strategies for managing conflict.
Define emerging issues in emergency services and translating them into opportunities for team success.
Lead Instructor: Ron Richards, Task Force 1, Inc.
– Class descriptions, schedule and instructor information
– Dates and Times of Classes only. Locations will be posted in the Ramada Atrium
– You must log in to the KU Fire Rescue Training Institute Website to register. If you do not have a login, click HERE to view instructions on creating one.
PAY (Opens new window)
– Payment can be made online by clicking the link, mailed cash or check, payment over the phone with Emily at 785-478-4053, or you may pay any method in person at the SCAFFA School registration table 3/19-22. We can also bill the fire department after the school is over. Any unpaid balances as of 4/1 will be billed directly to the agency you registered under.
– Keynote Presentation by Deputy Chief Billy Goldfeder
A block of rooms has been reserved at the Ramada, 420 SE 6th Ave., Topeka, KS at the rate of $81 for double or single occupancy. It includes a hot breakfast. To take advantage of the special rate, call 785-234-5400 by March 1, 2020, and mention that you will be attending SCAFFA Fire School. After March 5, 2020, room availability and rates cannot be guaranteed.